The Original Plan For Marriage
Wow this is going to be my first post ever and I didn’t think it was wise to start up a marriage related blog without talking about Gods original plan for marriage. I looked up the definition of marriage by Merriam Webster’s dictionary and this was the definition that was given:
The state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage
When I saw the first definition I smiled and I thought even Merriam Webster acknowledges that marriage is supposed to be between one man and one woman until I read the second definition.
The truth is I do not blame them because the society in which we live today has gotten so twisted and perverted that we have come to believe that everything goes once it is approved by a particular group of people even kids grow up to loathe marriages because of the obscene things they have been exposed to. These kids have been exposed to violence, murder; bullying, rape etc so I understand their decision to loathe marriage.
Having said that, there is nothing wrong in not wanting to get married after all eunuchs are still in existence. However, there is everything wrong with not wanting to get married because of things you have either heard or been exposed to. If you are such a person I encourage you to seek help or Godly counsel because you need a re-orientation on what marriage actually is and decisions such as these should be made with a clear and healthy mindset.
Living in a society where everything goes, we need to ask or remind ourselves from time to time how it was in the beginning.
In the beginning, God created the heaven and earth, stars, the moon, birds, trees, fish etc and when he was done he said in verse 26 let us create man in our own image after our own likeness , let them have dominion……………. His desire was for man to rule and reign over the affairs of the environment in which he had placed him.If you read Genesis 1 vs. 27 said he created male and female. Vs 28 they were given the mandate to be fruitful, multiply, replenish the earth.
Vs 31 said he looked at everything he created and said it was VERY good.
Chapter2 vs18 And the LORD God said, it is not good that the man should be alone; I will make a helpmeet for him.
Chapter 2vs 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Chapter2vs25 and they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
Things to note that were there from the beginning:
- The aim of creating man was to rule, reign and have dominion over the affairs of the earth or as I would like to say rule and reign over the environment in which he finds himself having absolute control over situations(sickness, poverty). In fact if you read through, God had already made provision for man.
- Be fruitful, multiply and replenish the earth doesn’t come across to me like families were meant to be poverty ridden, suffering, jobless or not yielding positive results rather I expect that whatever a man finds himself doing, within the right context , yields good results, continues to increase and spill over to other territories. In order words, when I get married I should have kids that eventually have their own kids and so on, my marriage or work of my hands should be so blessed that it begins to trickle down to other people to improve them either in the form of inspiring them to do better or to bless them with gifts.
- In the beginning he neither created Adam and Steve nor Adrienne and Eve. He created male and female, man and woman, Adam and Eve.
- He created woman to be a help meet also known as an assistant not to be the slave or punching bag.
- They were both naked the MAN and his WIFE and not ashamed. Sex is for married couples not boyfriend/girlfriend, fiancée/fiancé and definitely not for “friends without benefits” i.e. those who meet up just for sexual purposes without strings attached.
The fact that crazy things are becoming the norm doesn’t necessarily mean that they are right. God is not condemning anyone, although He (God) is against such acts. He is reaching out to ALL today with love through the blood of His son.
At times we are tempted to condemn one act and rate it higher than the other but the truth is that they all carry the same weight in the sight of God.
With divorce, rates, violence and infidelity at an all-time high, people are beginning to wonder if it’s actually worth it to get married. Is it really worth it?
Marriage can be a very beautiful thing. You can actually have something similar to the princess and prince charming stories with a little twist to the stories where the prince charming maybe a slightly bald man with some character flaws and the princess a regular everyday woman.
Marriage isn’t made up of 2 perfect people but 2 two imperfect people coming together to complement each others’ weaknesses. Marriage wasn’t necessarily ordained just for sex and procreation but also for companionship. I know some guys may be saying right now….. my buddies are my companions hanging out with them can be so much fun moreover I can run to them whenever I need some help so why should they bother getting married?
Asides the fact that the bible says he who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the lord, the kind of favor that does not come by hanging around with your buddies,
there is also this joy in coming home to yours spouse after a hard days’ work knowing that you can unwind and share the victories and challenges that you have encountered that day. You know that you can have a helpmeet with which you share a common goal, one that has your best interest at heart, one without ulterior motives but one whose success is yours. One with whom to you can take over the world…….remember we read earlier that we are to be fruitful multiply, replenish the earth, have dominion (Conquer). The the bible says one can chase a thousand while two can put ten thousand to flight.
This post is actually getting longer than I had planned but one thing I want you to know is this: regardless of what we have either heard, seen or experienced, marriage can actually be a beautiful thing and regardless of the state of your marriage, restoration is possible.
Stay tuned for more posts from Jaelash!
Copyright@jaelash April, 2012